Yavapai County Community Health Services

 Click on a category to the left to filter the list of FAQs below.

If I experience a problem with a restaurant I visit, can I call Community Health Services? How can I file a complaint?

Anyone may file a complaint by simply calling the Environmental Health Unit of Community Health Services and informing us of the details. The complaint should involve a violation of the Health Codes. We sometimes get complaints about a restaurant’s prices or slow service but these are not public health issues and should be taken up with the establishment’s management.

What will be done with my complaint?

An Inspector will generally visit the business and conduct an investigation. Depending on the alleged situation, this may be done anywhere from 1 to 30 days after the complaint call is received; we generally respond to complaints within 5 working days. If the complaint is determined to be valid, a corrective course of action will be required.


What should I do if I suspect I got sick eating at a restaurant?

Call the Communicable Disease section of Community Health Services. One of our most basic goals is to prevent foodborne illnesses. If there is reason to believe that a foodborne illness has occurred we want to know. We will ask the caller a number of questions such as what they ate, when they ate, when they became ill and whether anyone else they dined with become ill. We will promptly respond and take corrective action if we find problems in the restaurant. The reason we ask such detailed questions of the complainant is to gather information to help us with our investigation. Very often a person will want to blame the restaurant they ate at only an hour before their symptoms began. It is extremely unlikely this restaurant was the culprit because most foodborne illnesses require at least four hours to develop in the body before they start causing symptoms. The incubation period can be as much as 48 hours or longer. By taking a detailed history of foods eaten the few days prior to the illness, we can identify other possible sources of the infection. About one-half of all foodborne illnesses in this country originate in the home. Important Note: Foodborne illnesses can become serious, especially for the very young, the elderly and the immune compromised. We therefore strongly recommend that people in those groups or anyone in the general community seek prompt medical care if their condition becomes serious or lasts an unusually long time.

Who can I call to pick up or collect a dead animal?

The answer is somewhat complicated and depends upon where the animal is located. Dead animals on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. When a dead animal is on a government-maintained road or road easement, the agency responsible for that road can be called. Numbered highways such as I-17 and 89A are administered by the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT). Dead animals on county roads can be removed by calling Yavapai County Public Works in Prescott at (928) 771-3430. If the animal is on a city or town road, you may call your city hall or local animal control for a response. Community Health Services does not have the means to collect and dispose of dead animals.

My neighbor has a bad trash problem. Who can I call to do something about it?

The first line of action in such situations should be to file a complaint with your city or town. If you live in Yavapai County, call Development Services.

I'm being bitten by mosquitoes. Can Community Health Services spray for mosquitoes in my neighborhood?

We lack the resources, equipment and legal authority to conduct neighborhood spraying. However, we can respond on a complaint basis if there is reason to believe a property owner is allowing standing water on his property to breed mosquitoes and that problem is of sufficient scope to create a nuisance for the neighborhood.

There is a terrible odor coming from my neighbor's house. I'm certain it's a health problem. What can I do?

The laws and codes we enforce do not define odor alone as a public health nuisance. We therefore lack the ability to meaningfully respond even if the odor is alleged to be causing health issues for the neighbors. Town and cities usually have codes to deal with odors. Contact your town or city government. If you live in the County contact the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (1-800-234-5677), Air Quality Division, which takes and investigates air quality complaints including objectionable odors. Click here  for more information on complaints.

My neighbor won't clean up after his/her dogs. It's a disgusting mess with foul odors and lots of flies. What can be done?

A small amount of dog droppings may be unpleasant but does not necessarily constitute a public health nuisance. However, town and cities usually have codes to deal with odors. If the problem is substantial we recommend filing a complaint with your local city or town government. If you live in the County, you may call Development Services. Click here for more information on complaints.

There are unhealthy conditions in my rental, but my landlord won't do anything. What can Community Health Services do?

Unfortunately, there is little Community Health Services can do. The laws and codes we enforce do not cover what goes on inside of private structures and we have no jurisdiction there. The only response you may have is to seek civil remediation through the court system. Information and a copy of the Arizona Landlord-Tenant Law can be obtained from any office of the Yavapai County Justice Court.

I have mold problems in my house/workplace. What can I do?

Community Health Services does not have the expertise or legal authority to respond to mold complaints. If the problem exists with someone who rents or leases, we recommend seeking legal action through the Arizona Landlord-Tenant Act. If the owner wants testing and remediation, he should contact a private mold expert

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2023 by Yavapai County Government
Back To Top